The Cuyahoga Valley Art Center (CVAC) was founded in 1934, and is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization which is self-supporting through its memberships, auxiliary, class registrations, art shows, and workshops. The Center is governed by the Board of Trustees which is elected each year by the membership.
The mission of the Cuyahoga Valley Art Center is to promote active interest, involvement and strengthened appreciation of fine and applied arts within a supportive community for individuals of all ages. It fulfills its mission by being a resource for the arts community with a large gallery, extensive classes in a variety of media, workshops conducted by renowned artists, a variety of competitive exhibitions, and a friendly place for artists of all levels todevelop.
The Cuyahoga Valley Art Center was founded November 19, 1934 under the name of The Arts and Craft Club. The original meeting place was on Cook Street in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, where the first painting class was held. In 1936, we became the Falls Institute and had outgrown the Cook Street location. In March 1937, we relocated to the Apollo Building on the corner of Front Street and Portage Trail and in February 1939 relocated, again, to the Plum Building on Portage Trail.
In the 1940’s, we were known as The Art and Study League, again relocating, to the Schoner Building, and changing our name several times. In 1945, the name was changed to the Falls Civic Art Center and in 1946 moved to North Front Street and changed names, once again, to the Falls Art Center.
In 1956, we incorporated and received non-profit 501(c)(3) status. Another move and name change came in 1959, moving to the second floor at 1886 Front Street and becoming the Cuyahoga Falls Art Center. At this time Patsy Sigler was elected as the first President. The center continued to grow and serve the artist community and the public.
In 1987, operating under our current name, Cuyahoga Valley Art Center, we purchased the building at 2131 Front Street in Cuyahoga Falls which continues to be our home today. For more than three decades, the Women’s Auxiliary Board has provided essential financial support for the center.
In 2000, in response to the organization’s growth and increased services to its members and the community, Cuyahoga Valley Art Center hired its first director, Linda Nye, who served in that position until 2015.
Our current building when it was Cuyahoga Falls Savings Bank.